Let’s jump right in today. Aren’t we all trying to be more productive, more efficient, and more successful in our daily lives? We all have parts to play and we should all strive to be a better version of ourselves from the day before. For those of you that have taken the steps to start an Airbnb, you are ahead of the game. You have hustled and started the best Airbnb you could, right?! Previously published Smart From The Start: The How-To Guide Of Starting An Airbnb The Smart Way, it included a snippet of a very important role in hosting on Airbnb. Streamlining logistics will make your Airbnb more productive, more efficient, and more successful in the long run.
- Hosting takes up time. Answering questions, cleaning, troubleshooting guest issues, repairs, and damage control can add up quickly. Preventative maintenance can save you a lot of work in the future. A successful host hustles to maintain a 5-star property. Make it easier on yourself by streamlining many of the logistics.
- I have done away with providing physical keys to my guests. Using an electronic lock is not only safer but is simpler for all parties. I have used the August Smart Lock since day one and love everything it does for me. My guests no longer have to keep track of a key. Their smartphone has access to unlock/lock the door for the duration of their reservation. Easy peasy lemon squeezy! I also advise purchasing the August Connect so you can remotely access the lock from anywhere.
- Give yourself and your guests’ peace of mind with security cameras. I use Nest Cam. Or opt for Nest Cam Outdoor. They are quick and easy to set up plus you can receive alerts on your phone when the camera detects activity. Opt in for 24/7 live video recording in case of break-ins or theft for $10/month.
- Some people like it hotter and colder than others. Being able to access the temperature when you are away from home is crucial. The Nest Thermostat is a completely programmable thermostat that can learn schedules to save on energy. Control it from your phone, tablet, or computer from anywhere. Super sleek and modern looking!
- Guests leaving your lights turned on? Stop throwing away money when you don’t have to. There are many products on the market that can control your lights. I prefer the WeMo Switch Smart Plug purely for its simplicity. It is home automation the easy way for sure. Control your lights, appliances, and electronics from your phone. You can also create lighting schedules to turn on and off during the say. What’s really great is that WeMo Switch works with Nest Thermostat.
Check out my full list of Resources that I have either tested or used for my Airbnb. I am always testing new products to make my home stream hustle more productive.
The Home Stream Hustle is not all about taking on more responsibility or constantly working. Being productive and efficient is great, however, there is a difference between accumulating more work for yourself rather than eliminating the unnecessary work, which in turn will make you more productive.
One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity.
This is one of my favorite daily affirmations because it reminds me to not spread myself too thin. Focus on the important things and forget the rest. Simple is more. Do you want to be a Jack of all trades? Or a Master of None? Hustle to be great at a few things, not everything. This may make you overachievers go nuts (I place myself in that category). Something that I have slowly come to terms with over the past two years is just because I am busy does not mean I am being productive. I think we fool ourselves into thinking that if we stay busy and work eight hours a day (or more) that we somehow will achieve all we want. Then when we do not achieve what we want, what happens? We work even harder, putting in more time, continuing to fool ourselves.
You know the old saying that knowledge is power? Well, the first summer after graduating from college I worked for a life insurance company. Nothing special. It was a job and that is what I was told to do. So, I did it. However, if I learned anything from the four months I was there it was this.
One of the seasoned agents, Andre’, took me under his wing. He took me on sales calls, helped me with cold calling, all the fun salesman stuff. One day we were driving in his car to meet a client. We were reviewing the insurance program I put together and Andre’ told me it looked decent. I was a little surprised by his comment. I was hoping for more encouragement than that since I was still so new at this so I asked if he could explain what I did wrong. He told me I did everything right but was concerned that I would not be able to explain the package to the client properly. I had all the paperwork and knowledge I would need to make it nice and pretty for the client but had no clue what it really meant.
This is when he told me that I have the knowledge but I can’t apply that knowledge yet. What good is all that knowledge if you can’t apply it to your life? Andre’ looked at me and said,
“Knowledge is not power. Applied knowledge is power.”
This statement stuck with me all these years later. Starting an Airbnb has been incredibly fulfilling for my family. My wife and I gathered information and gained as much knowledge as we could about Airbnb in’s and out’s of hosting. Applying that knowledge is what made and continues to make our Airbnb successful.
Hopefully, by now you have acquired the knowledge from this blog to start an Airbnb in your home. My challenge to you now is to apply that knowledge. Don’t let it go to waste.
What good is all that knowledge if you can’t apply it to your life?
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog. Please continue to share your hosting stories with us. Contact us at email@example.com
Don’t just host, Superhost. And Superhost like a boss!